Sunday, April 16, 2006

Birgitte Einarsen - Saturday

Since it's Eurovision season again, when all the competing countries are busy choosing their song to represent them in Athens on May 18th, I thought I would get you all in the mood by choosing one my favourite songs of the season so far.

To those of you whol follow Eurovision, Birgitte Einarsen may be a name familiar to you. Born in Larvik, Norway, Birgitte starred in musicals all around Norway until she got her break in the 2003 Melodi Grand Prix, the competition for choosing Norway's entry in the Eurovision. Singing a pop-ditty "Good Evening Europe", a song about Eurovision itself, the song did well to come third overall.

Birgitte entered MGP (as it's known for short) again this year with the disco-stomper "Saturday" written by a Swedish/British team. She competed in the third semi-final and made it through to the second chance round where she duly won her place in the final proper for a second time. Alas it wasn't to be Birgitte's night, and she finished outside the Top 4 and therefore did not make the Superfinal, which was eventually won by the only Norwegian language song in the whole competition, Christine Gulbrandsen's "Alvedansen". Still "Saturday is an excellent song with that all important key change, and would have probably won some other country's national final. I hope you enjoy the track, and I plan to post more Eurovision songs as the season continues...

7 Comments:

Blogger Chrille said...

This was my favourite MGP-song this year. Totally robbed!

23 April, 2006 22:08  
Blogger Adrian said...

I've never seen her before. That's so not how I had pictured her.

24 April, 2006 13:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its fantastic but the track?
when i can the download??

06 June, 2006 17:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met Birgitte in June this year and she told me that Saturday was a bit hard for her to sing, it goes a bit high for her voice. I told her how much I love the song and she's a really nice person!

31 August, 2006 11:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there...

Remember i sent you that Sinitta album...can you PLEASE email me the West End track again as my PC was wiped!

PLEEEEASE!

Thank you very very much

12 October, 2006 22:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great song..! Birgitte's sister is actually my dancing teacher.. LOL

25 February, 2007 14:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Birgitte.. I know her.. She's got a sister named Gro!

03 June, 2007 21:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home